My Wonder List
There are things that puzzle GG and this is a partial list that will be updated from time to time.
- When did the High Plains become high?
- Why did the High Plains become high?
- What exactly did happen in the Mojave Desert c. 75 Ma?
- Why did the Sierra Nevada arc shut down?
- Related, why did it shut down from north to south?
- If the northern Sierra only went up prior to the Eocene, why are modern rivers cutting well below those deposits?
- If the northern Sierra have gone up significantly since the early Miocene, why do climate proxies disagree?
- If the northern Sierra only went up prior to the Eocene, then how did one form of support (crustal root?) get replaced by another (buoyant mantle)?
- What caused the Ancestral Rockies to rise up where they did?
- Why did the large thrust on the south side of the Uncompahgre Plateau fail to reactivate in the Laramide?
- How much of the Laramide foreland (basement-cored) uplifts reflect some different source of stress and how much do they reflect stresses from the Sevier belt driving shortening?
- It seems likely there was serious slip partitioning in the Sevier; where is it?
- There are some LANFs that seem to have really formed in the brittle crust at low angles. How?